There are old legends about the moon in ancient civilizations like China, but what is the real origin of the Earth’s moon? How did the moon form?
The above mentioned question has been asked for ages and there are numerous theories as to how the moon was formed. But there is one most popular theory about its formation and in this article we will talk about that particular theory alone.
So the moon was formed 4.5 billion years ago. After the Solar system was formed, another 30-50 million years passed and there was a huge collision between a smaller Earth and another planetoid that is as big as Mars. From this collision, moon was thrown into orbit. Originally, the moon was spinning around the Earth much faster, but gradually it slowed down and starter spinning as it does today. This is why we only see one face of the moon. If the moon would be spinning faster as it did earlier, we might be able to see all of its faces.
The Moon’s spinning around the Earth was slowed down gradually thanks to Earth. But Earth’s spinning was also slowed down thanks to the Moon. This was due to the Moon’s rotation and an exchange of energy between the two.
Now we can’t possible to back to that time, get scientific evidence, come back and study the formation of the Moon. So even though this is the most popular theory, there are many others. For example the first theory came from George Darwin, son of Charles Darwin. He argued that the Moon was a piece of the Earth that broke away. During that time the Earth was still just a rotating rock and not full of life as it is today. This theory is called fission theory and is not popular anymore.
Rotation: To spin around something
Orbit: Path of a space object or a planet
Collision: Something or someone striking at another violently
Particular: Something specific
According to the most popular theory, when did the Moon form?
- 4 billion years ago
- 3 billion years ago
- 30-50 million years before the Solar System was formed
- 30-50 million years after the Solar System was formed
Which of the following statements is true?
- Fission theory was created by George Darwin
- The most popular theory argues the Moon was a piece of Earth
- Charles Darwin’s theory is the most popular
- George Darwin’s theory is the most popular
According to the passage, which of the following statements is false?
- The Moon was spinning faster in its earlier stage
- The Moon was spinning slower in its earlier stage
- The Solar System is formed before the Moon
- Earth got slower after the Moon got into its orbit
(4) 30-50 million years after the Solar System was formed
(1) Fission theory was created by George Darwin
(2) The Moon was spinning slower in its earlier stage