Situated on the northeast end of the Southeastern Anatolia Region, Siirt is surrounded by Şırnak and Van from the east, Batman and Bitlis from the north, Batman from the west, Mardin and Şırnak from the south. The region rises suddenly after the Southeastern Anatolian plains, and the eastern and northern parts receive abundant rainfall. For this reason, the provincial area surrounded by Muş South Mountains from the north and Siirt East Mountains from the east constitutes one of the important water collection areas of the Tigris River. All of the provincial territories enter the Dicle Basin. It is the fourth largest water collection area of the country after Havza, Fırat, Kızılırmak and Sakarya Basins. Siirt is surrounded by plateaus covered with rich meadows, which receive abundant rainfall in summer and winter.
Surface Area : 5.718 km2
Districts: Center, Baykan, Eruh, Kurtalan, Pervari, Şirvan, Tillo
Siirt was established in the area where Mesopotamia and Anatolian civilizations intersect. Therefore, civilizations that emerged in the north and south were effective in the cultural development of the region. The mountainous region and the inadequate transportation facilities prevented the emergence of cultural centers of developed cities.
Until recently, the history of Siirt was not clear. Within the scope of the Southeastern Anatolia Prehistoric Studies Mixed Project, which was founded in 1963 under the direction of Halet ÇAMLIBEL and R.J. BRAIDWOOD, finds from the period covering Neolithic, Chalcolithic, Bronze and Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine-Islam and Modern Age were unearthed. Today’s cultural structure has been shaped by the effect of Turkish-Islamic Culture.
Places to visit:
Ulu Mosque: The minaret of the Ulu Mosque, known as the Tiled Minaret, reflects the typical Seljuk architecture.
The mosque, whose construction date is not known, was repaired in 1129 (523 H) by Muguziddin Mahmut, one of the Seljuk Sultans. In 1260 (658 H), additions to the mosque were made by El Mujahid Ishak, one of the Seljuk Atabeys, a Cizre judge.
It is placed on the base of the minaret of the mosque and on the stone still inside the mosque, the inscription “Duacis-surun Limen Saa” is read under the inscription of Haza history-i Tecdidi binaii Mosque.
The art masterpiece, belonging to the mosque, was transferred to the Ankara Ethnography Museum in 1933.
Veysel Karani Hz. Tomb: It is in the visiting town of Baykan district. The tomb, which was built with the mortar called Cas, and covered with a dome, was demolished in 1967 and a new tomb was built in its place. Veysel Karani tomb and complex was restored by the Governorship in 2001 and prospered to a modern appearance. Veysel Karaniye memorial events are organized every year between 16-17 May.
It covers a large area between Bozhöyük village and Gökdoğan village in Kurtalan district. Some findings that Erzen ruin site is one of the first settlements in Siirt have been revealed by the researches.
Billoris Thermal Spring: Billoris hot spring is 17 km from Siirt. It is located on the edge of Botan Stream in the South, outside the municipality and adjacent boundaries.
In order to eliminate the problems created by this environment, which increases rheumatism diseases, nutritional disorders and nervous fatigue, utilizing resource values such as hot springs and climate, protecting public health and workforce efficiency, activates the “Health Tourism” integrated with the domestic and foreign tourism event.
Saglarca Spa: It is 15 km from Siirt, on Eruh road. It is beneficial for skin diseases, rheumatism, gynecology, neuralgia, neuritis, polynevrit, polio sequelae and in-water exercises with bath applications.
Highway: The east-west oriented highway between Diyarbakır and Siirt is the most important highway connection of the province. The bus terminal is 1 km from the city center. It can be reached by company shuttles, City Buses and city minibuses.
Railway: Parallel to the highway, the railway coming through Diyarbakır and Batman ends in Kurtalan. The distance of the station to the city center is 28 km.